I love soup – I love everything about it – the texture, the smell, the taste – the process of making it….
And good soup is amazing – the out of the can is a quick fix for those that do not wish to have the time and love for a good soup….. Now with that said – I try to once a week make something for my hubby to take to work for the guys…its freezing out and the shop is not much warmer most days…. how he manages to handle it everyday is beyond me…. This is a little different from how I have made soup in the past – but the guys loved it – the kiddo loved it – so I guess it’s a keeper…. hope you enjoy and understand my rattling recipes….
Crock-pot Ham & Bean Soup
- 2 cups cubed Ham – I tend to buy a whole ham and then cube it to my needing ( mac n cheese – scalloped potatoes – soup, etc)
- 1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base ( this is a essential in my house – I also love the beef its around $4 at Wal-Mart)
- 1 pound great northern beans ( I tend to use the Jack Rabbit brand) Pre soaked or use the quick soak on the bag
- 2 carrots peeled and thin sliced
- chopped celery – about a cup
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 large can Swanson chicken broth ( the largest you can buy)
- salt – pepper
- a few shakes of Weber roasted garlic & herb seasoning ( another essential)
- bay leaves – 2 or 3
- again a few shakes of Weber Beer Can Chicken seasoning ( this is another essential in my house -love the combination of spices in this)
Now in a crock pot you need to add everything – you may need to add a little water – maybe 2 or 3 cups at most – ohh yeah this is not for the little crock pot – you need one that will hold a decent amount – I cook mine over night on high – after about 9 hours on high I turn down to low and let continue to cook about another 5 hours – which is about perfect timing for lunch…. serve with homemade bread or rolls – and enjoy – the end product is an aromatic bowl of hearty goodness…. sorry if my directions are vague – but for those that know me I measure very little in life….