I love fall – lets start out with that – its the perfect time of year to me…. It’s not too hot not too cold hoodies and sweaters….clogs and boots… hot chocolate and apples… gourds and leaves and of course pumpkins…
24 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- ORANGE FROSTING:
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- Candy pumpkins
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and
- fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in pumpkin and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking
- powder, baking soda, ginger and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture and
- mix well. Stir in nuts.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350°
- for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat the shortening, confectioners’ sugar, orange
- juice and orange peel until blended. Frost bars; cut into squares.
- Top with candy pumpkins. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 174 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 44 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.