Apple Pie is one of those universal deserts – almost everyone I have ever met likes apple pie….so the next family gathering you have why not make one large enough to share…..
Cookie Sheet Apple Pie Recipe (16-20 Servings)
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup plus 4-1/2 teaspoons water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 cups sliced peeled apples
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup milk(optional)
- 1 cup powder sugar(optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk the egg yolks, water and lemon juice; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion to fit the bottom and sides of a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Arrange apples over crust. Combine the sugar, cornflakes, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over apples.
- Roll out remaining dough to fit top of pie; place over apples. Seal edges; cut slits in top. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Let pie mostly cool then mix 1/4 cup milk (plus enough more to make a thin glaze) in 1 cup powder sugar. Drizzle over the top of the pie.(optional)
- Yield: 16-20 servings.
The only thing we did differently is that I make apple pie filling and can it – so we used the homemade canned filling….a jelly roll pan and we skipped the glaze….Next time I would only change one thing and that is to double the apple filling using my canned….it was good just needed a little more apple to go w the crust…..